As founder and practitioner at our clinic in Santa Cruz, I often end up answering the phones and scheduling patients. I am surprised how many people call and cancel an acupuncture appointment because they have come down with a common cold, scheduled a surgery in a few days, or are feeling too stressed by their busy lives. All of the afore-mentioned reasons for cancelling an appointment, are actually great reasons to GET a community treatment! The following are some common reasons that you could really benefit from calling and getting yourself in for acupuncture.
1. You have just come down with a cold- When you just start to notice a scratchy throat, chills or body aches, or even just got word that a family member has an illness- this is a great time to get an acupuncture treatment! Your practitioner has many tools for strengthening your defensive qi to prevent illness entirely, as well as to keep an illness from penetrating deeper into the body. At People’s Integrative Medicine, we have over thirty herbal formulas which treat a diversity of symptoms brought about by the common bacterial and viral respiratory infections. Getting in early is key, so just as you finish your first sneezing attack, wash your hands and give us a call!
2. You have scheduled an upcoming dental procedure or medical surgery- Acupuncture alone is a great way to prepare for surgery! Through it’s effects on the NF kappa B, a master gene regulator, the needles down-regulate Cox 2 enzymes which promote inflammatory symptoms such as swelling, heat, and pain. Not to mention that acupuncture taps into your parasympathetic tone- the body’s “rest and digest” state, which is imperative for tissue repair.
3. You have a short fuse- When it feels like people are generally more annoying than usual, or you are feeling edgy, irritable, or anxious, community acupuncture can help! Stress leads to a cascade of negative health effects, harming your digestion, sleep quality, mental clarity, and immunity. Your community acupuncture treatment offers you a full 30 minutes of meditative, healing space. The needles balance your internal organs, which in turn foster a peaceful, balanced state of being.
4. You’ve just sprained your wrist, twisted your ankle, awoken from bed with low back pain- The body has amazing regenerative properties. However, in terms of minor traumas, muscle spasms and sports injuries, there is tendency to “mostly heal”. By getting in to the clinic right after the injury, we can prevent pain and swelling, as well as draw the body’s attention to the area to invite it to fully recover, right away, and prevent an injury from becoming a chronic condition.
5. You haven’t been able to get good quality sleep for a night or two- A lack of sleep, like an excess of stress, can wreak havoc on our physical and emotional well being. Whether you are having night sweats, dreams that make you restless and emotional, wake several times to urinate, wake several times for no reason, or simply can’t fall asleep, your acupuncturist can help!
6. You are constipated- No, really! The longer unneeded food matter sits in the bowels, the more likely the liver is to re-absorb hormones and toxins. The importance of regular elimination cannot be stressed enough- and acupuncture is incredibly effective at increasing peristaltic function and encouraging the intestines to work effectively.
7. You have a big life event around the corner- If you are preparing to give a presentation before a large audience, propose to your girlfriend, or ask your boss for a raise, you acupuncture treatment is of great use preparing you to be clear, grounded, and relaxed for the occasion.
Hopefully this article helps shed light on the subject of community acupuncture and its many benefits. People’s Integrative Medicine, in Capitola, has a beautiful community room, with heated beds, bolsters, blankets, and a crew of fantastic practitioners on hand to address all of your health concerns.
Lishanna Tryllium, L.Ac., DMQ (CHINA)